Pages

Saturday 28 March 2009

Many waters...

...cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it
(Song of Solomon).

Two very different canvasses using the same quotation.


In this blue one the inspiration for the background is 'water'... quite a plain background with paint rolled on & quite a simple watery splash across the bottom. It is the word 'love' that is the focal point, written with a folded ruling pen to provide contrast to the rest of the lettering done with a Mitchell nib which blends with the background. 'Love' is written in an energetic style which echoes the energy of the water. Although there are contrasts going on, the overall effect is harmonious. This piece of work is currently available for sale on Spirit Trader in my shop 'inspirations'




In this canvas, it is the heart that is the focal point & the lettering done with a draughtsman's ruling pen is subsidiary. I used deeper tones of pink so it wasn't too 'girly' & I was really pleased the way the heart turned out, capturing that feel of the energy of water. (At least I thought so, lol)

They're both small canvasses & it can be difficult to control paint splashing in a small area, especially when you're trying to exude the energy of the subject as you splash. Needless to say, I managed to cover a much larger area than 8" x 12", including myself!

1 comment:

Rose said...

I love the contrast between the two and I can't make up which I love the most!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...