Pages

Tuesday 21 April 2009

Canvas for the Pool-room

The last of the art-work for my 'staff-room' commission... a set of 6, each canvas is 2 foot square, so they form a decent size piece overall, to hang in the pool table area of the staff room. Even though this area was around the corner from the main room, I wanted the canvasses to link with the other areas. Neutrally decorated, laminate floor, so no problem there... but a bright blue pool table! How could I incorporate that with the earthy colours elsewhere??

So, I took the orange from the flecks in the carpet (which was shades of green with flecks of orange) that runs through the rest of the area- you can see the same shade in the lettering on the green set of canvasses earlier. I used a dark brown aerosol to spray a pool ball (cross planet/energy vortex to my way of thinking, that I often use) which ties in with the cappuccino canvas. I stuck to brown & orange for the lettering & most of the splashes.

The final touch was the pool-table blue splashes- how considerate of them to get the perfect contrasting colour for me, lol (blue being opposite orange on the colour wheel). Just a small amount of blue gave it instant 'zing' & lifted the whole piece.... I wonder if I would have thought of it if the table hadn't been there??

I chose light hearted quotations to relieve the stress of work, for an area which is for fun & recreation:
When you get to the end of your tether,
tie a knot in it and hang on.

A pessimist is someone who puts the light on
to see how dark it is.

A real pessimist looks at a doughnut and
only sees the hole.

No one ever ruined their eyesight by looking on the bright side.


I would have loved to see all 3 sets of canvasses hung in situ, but photographs never arrived, never mind. All in all I think I managed to provide 3 quite different pieces of art/calligraphy, that should link all the areas of the room together.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...