It began like this... with just light guidelines
to keep me straight & in proportion
It grew to this.... building up the texture as I went... squinting through half closed eyes at times to judge how heavy or light the lettering should be & where... introducing contrast in size & weight & letterform, whilst trying to keep an overall unity
and finished up like this... just a bit of cleaning up to do. I used ruling pens & Mitchell nibs. You can see the finished result here
In hindsight, it could have done with an extra line of heavier text to match the border at the bottom, but hey... I reckon it works just fine!